Baby Silkie with leg twisted inward and back Hope pics post

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catdiva6, Aug 6, 2010.

1. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Hi all, this little silkie hatched today. Saw him trying to get up from under momma but couldn't. He just flops over. The best way to describe it is that the foot looks pigeoned toed and goes inward. The leg then seems to go back. I almost think it might be dislocated or something. I had a splayed one once which I easily fixed but this is more difficult and tried to stick qtip as splint but not much good. Thanks in advance[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Oh, don't know how pic of the last chick got on there! LOL!

3. WhistlerChick

WhistlerChick New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    I would use super glue or tape and take his feet to cardboard, he won't be able to move on his own but his legs should fuse normally. I've heard of people glueing feet down for crooked toes, so why wouldn't it work?

4. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I wouldn't use super glue.....how are you supposed to get them off of what ever you're gluing them to?

Try treating for straddled legs. If you cannot make the leg move into place it may be a tendon issue. I culled one that had this problem. I've encountered a lot of foot issues this year. Sometimes you just have to cull if there is no hope.

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Try a small piece of like poster board cut into a very small piece of slightly rounded corners same size of foot and have some help flattening the foot out and tape it with scotch tape.It may help I hope I fixed one like that but then again it look's like a backward splay leg too.I hope your chick make's it.I lost one of my crooked toe silkie's earlier this year she was 3 months old and was doing good then gone.It's always worth a try to fix them some survive sadly other's don't.Let Us know how it does good luck and hugggzzz.

6. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    K guys, Thank you all so much. The link was great...I added it to my favorites link! I will keep you posted. I don't think the outcome will be good, but I am willing to give it a shot. Thanks again!

7. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Make sure that tape isn't covering the vent.

Good luck keep us posted!

8. catdiva6

catdiva6 New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Well, the news is not so good. He is alive but when I was going to redo his legs today, I realiised the deformed one has no movement. With the good one he can push against my fingers, but the other one has no strength. So, this poor guy is seperated from his family sitting in a little donut I made. I think he needs to be culled but I have never done this .........UGH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by