baby silkie wont stand on foot

span8780

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
I just bought 14 silkies and after I got home I was looking at the chicks and one of the babies is having a hard time standing on one of its feet. It can put weight on it but seems to be having a hard time doing it. If it stands it will try to put weight on it and the leg slowly splays out. Wondering if there is anything I should do or just watch it. I did realize when I got them home that the store I bought them from didn't put any bedding in the bottom of the box so the poor babies were slidding all around inside the box on the way home. I checked over the foot and leg and nothing seems to be broken. Do you think I should seperate this chick into its own pen to give it a break from being pushed and bumped by the others. I did nitice when she stands she is turning its foot inward to try to balance. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Sounds like splayed leg. You can make a splint out of a band aid. Put it in front of the legs and then wrap the adhesive part around. It will end up looking a little like a hobble.

Also, make sure you keep it on for a good amount of time. Check it after a week or two, but keep it on until she is better. She may need to be separated if they pick at it.

Okay. I hobbled the leg with a band-aid. Now whenever she tries to walk she falls over. It looks like her middle toe keeps catching on the paper towels. Is this a natural thing she is going to go through until she gets the hang of it? When she does stand she is currling her toes under. Will this hurt her in the long run after the splaying is fixed?

I had the exact same thing happen to me though I hatched mine out. I tried the bandaid and I also was looking into a slipped tendon as well because the bandaid wasn't making a difference. Mine was having a hard time walking because she would refuse to do so and would only hop when she needed to. Unfortunately, I had to put her to sleep. It was getting worse and worse even with the bandaid. It was turning sideways and I could keep the foot staying forward but the actual leg itself would turn not just the angle if that makes sense.
I hope you have better luck.

Back
Top Bottom