Baby Silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobbychamp, May 16, 2011.

1. hobbychamp

hobbychamp New Egg

May 16, 2011
    We got a bunch of baby chicks in the beginning of April. One of them was a black silkie. He/she is not at all like the others in any way. He waddles along very slowly, takes a few steps and stops. He never, ever runs. He looks like he is having a hard time balancing when he walks. He is also a lot smaller than our others. He is growing, but at a very slow pace. He does not "mingle" much with the other birds....just stays by himself. Does anyone know if this is normal to the silkie breed? [​IMG]

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Wish I could help, hope someone will come along.

Just sort of "bumping" this so others can help ya [​IMG]

Good luck, QP.

3. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    we just got 2 silkies yesterday they are 5 days old, and are behaving like yours. don't know if this is normal?[​IMG] they both kinda stumble along and don't seem to be anywhere near as active as our other 4? thanks for posting the questions we wanted to know about, i guess we'll find about these little cuties together! good luck![​IMG]

they do seem to want to be held more than our other 4 did at that age, and they aren't running from us.

4. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    umm.. well my 3 silkie chicks grew very very slowly. They are just now 6 weeks (around the same as yours right?)and starting to look like they might catch up with the rest. so i think that's normal and they are supposed to be smaller than the rest too... and it just happened to be my one black that was the very smallest and only just now seemed to finally get some fuzz and grow up a bit.

As far as him (oops.. her! [​IMG] ) being slow/not playing with others I'm not sure... Mine are not very slow or wobbly and that sounds like the only thing to maybe possibly be worried about. Depending on what other breeds you have and what age they are, he may want to play, but is just at the bottom of their little chickie pecking order... but really I don't know and can only speak from my own experience.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by