Baby silkies being weird

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arialp, Dec 16, 2014.

1. arialp

arialp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Hendersonville, TN
    so I just put my 8 week old silkies out in their coop for the first time a couple of days ago. Every night they sleep in one of the nesting boxes (that's fine with me). But I just walked out there, and when I opened the door, they were all huddled up next to it! I have a heater in here (because they're still babies) but right now it's at 64 degrees. Maybe they are hot? Maybe they're waiting for me to visit them? Haha I'm really unsure as to why they want to sleep there and I'm afraid that if a predator gets in, they'll be easy to catch since they are right at the door.

2. lilpeepers

lilpeepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Did you figure out why the relocated? Babies are funny, they definitely stick together, and all do the same thing. I have silkies, too.When they were chicks they would all be piled up together in various places. I bet it was a temperature thing? Or getting too big for the box? Around 8 weeks, mine started to be more independent, but then it also warmed up outside by then as well. Hope they are back to their usual behavior!

3. arialp

arialp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Hendersonville, TN
    I never figured it out but I went back out there later and they were huddled in another completely random spot. Oh well lol

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    For what its worth, Silkies are just weird in general. Probably why I love them so much :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by