Baby Silkies With Toes Curled Under Foot! Update:ALL BACK TO NORMAL!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kysilkies, Jul 19, 2010.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We have a baby that was born yesterday and her outside toes aren't extended, they are under her feet...How do we fix this?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Here's a link with more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72885

Basically
    you need to put the toes in the correct position, and brace them using tape or bandaids to hold them into position. Check the tape/bandaids often as they will come undone and they need to stay on. Do this for a couple days up to a week or so. Giving the Polyvisol (infant's vitamins, the one's without Iron added) will also help. Good luck!

3. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    check the cures and injuries section. several articles and solutions on this.

4. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thank you, I checked that out and we will design something like that this evening...I'm wondering how easy the tape comes off their feet afterward...

5. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I haven't done it, but I imagine as long as it's not a feather footed breed it should come off fairly easy.

6. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We decided to use 2 of my solid guitar picks, they are the right size and shape...We'll post pictures when done...

7. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We decided to give her a day of peace before we slapped those picks on her feet and when we woke up this morning, BOTH toes are extended normally, WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    thats great news!
    If it was me I wouldn't have waited and then I would have stressed the chick for no reason. BYC is a great learning site for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by