Baby Silkies

plester01

Songster
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
Foreman,AR
I just got back from the local feed store, where I just bought 5 silkies (1 buff, 3 blue and 1 black) They are the cutest little things. I never thought I would go for the feather footed breeds but I could not help myself. If feather sexing is accurate I picked out all hens. Oh, they are 3 days old. I will add pics later today.
wee.gif
:love

Feather sexing? Giggle, giggle.

Silkies are not one of the breeds that can be feather sexed until they are at least 6 weeks old, most are much older than that.

Yeah, feather sexing can only be done on birds that were bred fast feathering male with slow feathering females. As for picking all roos... Don't worry, your luck can't be as bad as mine. 1 girl 7 roos....

How do you know what is fast and slow feathering? Are Bantams fast and slow feathering? If I do have some Roos in my silkie clan can they live with or near a BBRed Bantam Roo?
caf.gif

It will all depend on the disposition of the boys. I've got one boy who won't fight, period. Yet his Daddy was the baddest boy.

I've got a couple of others that will tussle for several minutes but will quit.

Then there's King. He comes by his name for a reason. He does not tolerate any male within 20 feet of him. Not even the sweet natured guy who won't fight.

And yes, they are all Silkies. Oh, did I forget to mention the one who tries to flog me every chance he gets. Dumb bird. He's also dumb enough to try going up against King who never loses.

That's 8 Silkie roos, all very different personalities. Most kept in seperate pens to avoid blood baths.

Last night my DH and I were out with the flock and were looking around the property. My DH has decided to build me another coop espcially for my new silkies. Since I do not know how many roosters I accidentaly picked out and I would like to keep 1 or more he decided to build me 3 coops. Not real big ones but large enough for at least 1 roo and 2 or 3 hens. He said if he gets enough lumber and fencing he might just make 4 because I also have a 6 week old BB Red that we are pretty sure is a Roo and he/she is the friendliest of all my chickens. So when construction is complete and my chicks are all sorted out I might be able to get more in the spring. I always need more!!!!
woot.gif

Mine are all kept in the same coop, I've divided it off in to seperate holding pens. A new coop is in the very near future, this time it will get buildt near the shade trees to help keep the temps down in the hottest weather.

I'll do the same thing, all of the flock in the same coop with their seperate external pens to enjoy whenever the mood strikes them.

I have a question. I picked up 4 black silkie chicks last Friday and I've noticed a couple of weird things.

1st, they stink! I mean they smell like a dead animal. Not overpowering to where you can't get near them, but every time you pick one up, your hands smell like a dead animal.
None have any injuries or anything that looks infected, unless you include point #2

#2 their breasts are VERY big compared to the other chicks I've had (no jokes please). It almost seems swollen like a water ballon. Two of them have no feathers on their breast.

Is this normal???? Any ideas??

They're all chirpy and energetic and don't "act" like anything is wrong at all. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks, SilverJeep

Back
Top Bottom