1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Silkies...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 16, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ok I bought 6 silkie babies at an auction 2 weeks ago. someone told me they are supposed to have 5 toes??? Is this right?
    [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Yep

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

yes.... if you are wanting to show them

if you dont want to show them, then it doesnt matter.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I actually hadn't even planned on keepin them, still haven't made up my mind. Bought them so I could trade them with a friend for something else, but she doesn't have any I like.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    New question...I have confirmed that they do have 5 toes, but most of them (there are 6 total) seem to have feathers (actually still fuz) on the outsides of their legs. The insides don't have any. Is this normal? Some also have bald spots on their necks, and under their wings.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Shelley,

Where are you located? I might be interested in a White silkey roo or two. Tammy in Wilmore.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes it is normal for there to be feathers on outside of legs. Some have it down their middle toe, many do not.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Ok now i'm confused. Are they not supposed to have feathered legs??? It seems like they have outsides of legs, and outsides of feet as well with 'feather/fuz' on them.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I am in Columbia, which is on the southern side of Green river lake. About 30 miles east of somerset, and 20 miles south of Campbllsville. I've been told you can't tell the sex until they start to crow or lay though!!
    -edit- sorry that would be WEST of somerset!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  10. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Ok now i'm confused. Are they not supposed to have feathered legs??? It seems like they have outsides of legs, and outsides of feet as well with 'feather/fuz' on them.

I think she meant the fuzz continues down the middle toe only for some of the chicks but all have fuzz on the outside of their legs. They are a feather legged chicken so it's normal for the babies to have the fuzz on the outside of the legs/feet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by