Baby Silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chuckychicken23, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Chuckychicken23

Chuckychicken23 New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Hi guys. I just got baby silkie chicks last week and noticed some had started growing fur on their legs and others hadn't. Does this mean some are roosters and others hens? Thanks

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! No that doesn't mean some are roosters and some are not. All silkies have feathered feet so they will grown sooner or later.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I have never kept Silkies. I do love them however, they are just adorable cutie pies! You might stop by our Silkies thread to ask this question. You can also upload some pics too there....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Enjoy your pretty birds! And welcome to our flock!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If these were from a hatchery/feed store, they may not resemble the fluffy - big crested birds you see in photos. Sometimes they don't look like silkies. But, even in show litters some faults crop up, like 4 toes instead of 5, light skin instead of black, hard feathers, combs other than the walnut type, etc. etc. birds with clean legs instead of feathered. Birds with these faults would not be offered as show prospects and maybe not even as breeding quality.

Do check out the Silkie thread and ask them your questions. They seem like a very nice group of people.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your avatar! SO cute! Is that a bichon frise dog?

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

It doesn't mean that they are cockerels or pullets. It is possible that they are just poor quality Silkies, or they may not be Silkies at all.

8. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    I see quite a few of these clean-legged Silkies in the hatchery chicks at TSC each year. I was actually "gifted" one a few years back (I've since re-gifted him). While not breeder/show quality, I kind of appreciated the lower maintenance feet and he seemed to get around better than my more standard Silkies.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by