Baby Silkies

Chuckychicken23

Hatching
Mar 30, 2015
Hi guys. I just got baby silkie chicks last week and noticed some had started growing fur on their legs and others hadn't. Does this mean some are roosters and others hens? Thanks

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! No that doesn't mean some are roosters and some are not. All silkies have feathered feet so they will grown sooner or later.

If these were from a hatchery/feed store, they may not resemble the fluffy - big crested birds you see in photos. Sometimes they don't look like silkies. But, even in show litters some faults crop up, like 4 toes instead of 5, light skin instead of black, hard feathers, combs other than the walnut type, etc. etc. birds with clean legs instead of feathered. Birds with these faults would not be offered as show prospects and maybe not even as breeding quality.

Do check out the Silkie thread and ask them your questions. They seem like a very nice group of people.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

It doesn't mean that they are cockerels or pullets. It is possible that they are just poor quality Silkies, or they may not be Silkies at all.

I see quite a few of these clean-legged Silkies in the hatchery chicks at TSC each year. I was actually "gifted" one a few years back (I've since re-gifted him). While not breeder/show quality, I kind of appreciated the lower maintenance feet and he seemed to get around better than my more standard Silkies.

Back
Top Bottom