Baby silver lace and Mille Fleur cochin bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JuJubeann, Dec 27, 2016.

1. JuJubeann

JuJubeann Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

These are my sweet little bantam I hatched. They will be 4 weeks old tomorrow I think. I've got a few newbie questions. Any help is very much appreciated.

1) Three of the Mille fleur hatched from frizzle eggs but only one actually looks frizzle. I know that there is a 50/50 chance to get frizzle and smooth. My question is do the ones that turn out smooth carry the frizzle gene or can I just consider them smooth?

2) Will the feathers change colors/patterns as they get older once they have feathered out?

3) Anyone care to guess at the gender of any of them? I just want to compare what I think to what you think. This is my first time sexing any chick's as this is my first chicken hatchlings.

Thank you for taking a look and opinions. <3

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    As long as one parent was frizzled the smooth should carry the frizzle gene and are capable of producing frizzles when bred to a frizzle.

The color Millie fluer will develop more white spots as they get older. Each yearly molt they will get whiter too.

Bantam cochins can be sexed fairly early as most roosters get pink combs at about 5 weeks where the pullets take a few months to get pink.

The males will often feather out more slowly too. From your photo I would guess at least the one in the bottom left is probably a rooster. So watch for those pink combs in the coming weeks.

3. JuJubeann

JuJubeann Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Georgia
    Thank you oldhenlikesdogs. I was really hoping someone would say the were smooth. Haha :p The smooth Mille Fleurs is the main reason I ordered. Only one of the 3 smooth eggs hatched and I believe it is a roo. It's comb is pink but his head is down in the pic. Looks like I need to order some more smooths so I can have my 2 hens.

I also wanted a frizzle hen to hatch some quail eggs so I could watch them but I agree I think the frizzle on the bottom left is a roo. He is also a lot bigger than the others and he's the one that couldn't get out of the shell he was just so big compared to the others. I'll try to get some better pics up.
    Again, thank you.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. Hello!Your chicks are very pretty and cute but sadly I cannot aswer any of your Qustions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by