1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby size egg-from a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by potato chip, Aug 31, 2016.

1. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    My "big girls" (isa browns) are allowed to run around the whole backyard. They have a new house and run but at least one girl likes laying her eggs elsewhere. I've found "egg stashes" around and about.

I came across 2 eggs in the laying box of a little chicken house I have in the backyard. The girls or one of them had previously laid in there, so I check it from time to time. One was a normal looking egg, the other is this teeny-weeny little dark egg. Could one of my girls have produced this? The second egg is also one of theirs, they do pretty big eggs. My "little girls" (bantams) started laying little eggs and I was told they would get bigger as they grew, and they have, but can a fully-grown, productive chook suddenly produce a tiny little thing like this? If not, any ideas as to who could have laid it? I have black crows visiting, but I can't imagine one of them laying eggs here, let alone in the chicken house. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, older birds can produce a tiny egg...often called a fairy egg(or fart/wind egg, rooster eggs, etc)
    and may not contain a yolk. It's usually just a one time glitch.

1 person likes this.
  3. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks :), it gave me quite a shock, not just because of its size, but because it is so dark. I get a range of colours and sizes, but nothing like that before.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes the smaller ones are darker, same amount of pigment on less surface area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by