baby snakes in my straw

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 25, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Is this a summer thing? They are all black. I saw the mother once out by my burn pile... i moved my straw into the garage instead of the garage addition with a dirt floor in it.

I am hoping they wont go into the garage on cold concrete and do this... its right next to the chickens. I know that the chickens will kill the babies if they have a chance, and i dont think the adult is dumb enough.

I am hoping that this will be the end of it. and its a garter snake variety( hubs loves the herps) and has assured me that they are not of the jaw- hinging variety and CANNOT eat chickens.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    You probably solved the problem by moving the straw. Around here in GA a black snake is a good snake. As far as I know, there are no poisonous black snakes here in the US (although sometimes water moccasins can look almost black), but sometimes the juvinile colors can fool me. I am always finding little brown snakes in the dirt under boards, rocks, bales of hay, etc., but they never get much bigger than about 12 inches. Good luck with your snake control efforts.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    If it really is a Garter snake, it has more to fear from your chickens than they do from it. If it's a black snake, I personally think they should be left to take care of your rodent population. You may lose some eggs to them but that is a small price to pay for the good that they do in rodent control.

I have lost chicks to them in the past but it has always been my fault. I think it's our responsibility to keep our little ones safe from such predators and when I lose one or two to a snake I correct the situation. Snakes are pretty easy to keep out so I give them a pass...varmits that tear or chew through wire are on death row at my coop.

4. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Garter snakes - my hens new super treat! had one run over by the lawnmower. Oh my goodness was that funny when I tossed the "giant worm" into the pen. Garter snakes eat lots of bugs, too. no worries IMO.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Baby snakes are cute!! I'm not sure what kind of garter snake would be all black though; I thought they all had stripes of some sort [​IMG] Wonder if they were rat snake/black snake babies???

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Quote:What color are your water moccasins? Around here they are black with a white mouth and they are MEAN!!! I pretty much assume "sll snakes are bad" and leave them alone. Between the water moccasins and copperheads you have to be careful. UGG.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Despite what ppl. say...I kill them all. I can not allow one of them to eat my eggs or my babies. If I catch them in my hen houe and i don't have babies and they are sitting in the rafters waiting for the mice...I am fine. if i go in days later and catch them in the eggs, they are dead!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by