Baby turkey and chicks

Nikkibaby27

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
A week ago had a baby turkey hatch it was unexpected I didn’t know the egg was as far long in development as it was it was supposed to hatch along with a duck egg that still has a week to go. But I have a chicken egg due to hatch in two days. My question is can I add the chick to the brooder with the Turkey chick or should I keep them separate.? Picture is my littlest with Ted 😍

Attachments

• F3679229-2B0E-4211-8A8F-60890E2F618F.jpeg
    F3679229-2B0E-4211-8A8F-60890E2F618F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
A week ago had a baby turkey hatch it was unexpected I didn’t know the egg was as far long in development as it was it was supposed to hatch along with a duck egg that still has a week to go. But I have a chicken egg due to hatch in two days. My question is can I add the chick to the brooder with the Turkey chick or should I keep them separate.? Picture is my littlest with Ted 😍
You can. If you are feeding the turkey the appropriate high protein turkey or game bird starter, that feed will not hurt the chick. On the other hand, regular chick starter can be harmful to the poult since it does not have the higher levels of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin that turkey poults need for proper growth and development.

I do not recommend brooding turkey poults and chicks together because of the harmful effects the imprinting can cause later in their lives.

You can. If you are feeding the turkey the appropriate high protein turkey or game bird starter, that feed will not hurt the chick. On the other hand, regular chick starter can be harmful to the poult since it does not have the higher levels of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin that turkey poults need for proper growth and development.

I do not recommend brooding turkey poults and chicks together because of the harmful effects the imprinting can cause later in their lives.
Harmful imprinting cause as far as.? Our chickens are our pets. We don’t use them for meat and I was advised the turkey isn’t a meat Turkey and we didn’t plan to raise him that way either.? He plans on living he life with us

Yes you can put the turkey with the chicks. Alot of people do this especially when there is only one turkey because it helps the baby turkey learn to eat and drink. Even with multiple turkeys people still do it because turkeys are sometimes umm not very smart when so young. They will starve to death even with food and water right there just because they can't figure it out. The color marbles placed in the food and water doesn't always work. Baby turkeys do need higher protein feed then chick. 28- 30%

Harmful imprinting cause as far as.? Our chickens are our pets. We don’t use them for meat and I was advised the turkey isn’t a meat Turkey and we didn’t plan to raise him that way either.? He plans on living he life with us
I have 6 bronze turkeys that are 100% pets and are 100% imprinted on me. They are almost 5 months old. They live with chickens and ducks sents they where 6 weeks old.

My turkeys do have there own sleeping quarters There hasn't been any blackhead disease outbreaks where I live in years but I rather be safe then sorry.

Imprinting removes their ability to understand whatever they were imprinted by is not a turkey. In the case of a tom turkey raised alone with chickens, it can lead to the chickens being killed when the turkey is old enough and starts trying to breed them.

It is not a good idea to keep just a single turkey. They are very social and need other turkeys for companionship.

All of the human aggressive turkeys that I have had to deal with were imprinted by people.

Imprinting removes their ability to understand whatever they were imprinted by is not a turkey. In the case of a tom turkey raised alone with chickens, it can lead to the chickens being killed when the turkey is old enough and starts trying to breed them.

It is not a good idea to keep just a single turkey. They are very social and need other turkeys for companionship.

All of the human aggressive turkeys that I have had to deal with were imprinted by people.
Oh I see.!!! I’m not sure our plan as far as another turkey I mean it’s possible I might get another egg. To be honest I’m hoping it’s a female I lucked out on all my chickens last year being hens so maybe fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom