Baby turkey flew away! Help! Advice needed!

SteelKelsey

Chirping
Jul 23, 2018
Hi everyone! I just rescued 4 8-week old white royal palm turkeys. They are very flighty and afraid of humans as the previous owner didn’t take any care of them. When I was placing them into their fenced in coop this morning, one got out by accident and flew into the woods. I’ve tried for hours to find it and get it back but I can’t seem to.

It’s pretty hot out and she hasn’t had any water since escaping (I left some water and food out though). She also has been at my house for less than 24 hours so she doesn’t know where the coops are or anything like that. The part that worries me the most is that one of my older turkeys was just eaten by a coyote two days ago (we free range). I’ve used turkey calls and other turkeys to call her out and it worked the one time but then she flew wayyy further into the woods and I have been able to locate her since. Any advice??

Don't chase her, she'll just flee further away. She may come back to be with her flock and might be more agreeable to rejoin if allowed to relax. If you can locate her, try to catch her after dark when she has settled down. I know my chickens don't see well in the dark and will stay put . Good luck

Don't chase her, she'll just flee further away. She may come back to be with her flock and might be more agreeable to rejoin if allowed to relax. If you can locate her, try to catch her after dark when she has settled down. I know my chickens don't see well in the dark and will stay put . Good luck
If you end up going after her after dark, one of those head lamps with a red light option work well. So get close with the white light and then switch to the red light for the approach. With the white light my chickens can see and will try and run, but with the red light they say put. I Picked up an Energizer head lamp 60 lumens with red bulb at WM for about $8 that works well for me

If you end up going after her after dark, one of those head lamps with a red light option work well. So get close with the white light and then switch to the red light for the approach. With the white light my chickens can see and will try and run, but with the red light they say put. I Picked up an Energizer head lamp 60 lumens with red bulb at WM for about $8 that works well for me
I never knew that! I’m trying it now!! Thank you!

I really hope you find her or she comes home, If theres one thing I have learned from being on this forum, is don't feel guilty. It was an accident and now you are doing all you can to find her. There has already been some great advice given. I'll be thinking of you and your baby girl :hugs

Back
Top Bottom