Baby turkey has a cold, black toe

Sulfate

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Hi, one of our little baby turkeys, Arthur, has a toe that is black and cold to the touch. I realize that the toe is dead, but my question is, what should I do? Will the toe just fall off, or will it spread to his foot and give him blood poisoning or something?

I have a young turkey hen and recently I noticed she was missing most of her nails/toes. Then she started limping and one of the remaining toes was hanging by a tendon? I don't know. I started her on antibiotics and soaking her feet in a little betadine solution. I was examining another toe and in came off in my hand! Gross. The only suggestions that I have found so far is rats are nibbling her at night or bumblefoot. Neither thing seems right to me. I have never seen evidence of rats in my coop, and I often go in there late at night well after dark. Also the bedding is clean and dry, and no other birds have foot problems. I am curious if anyone knows what this is. If you find out anything I would love to hear it.

Posting a picture is helpful. I have heard of severe leg mites causing this, and then there is always frost bite. In very cold areas if chickens walk through water, frostbite can occur quickly.

Sadly, our little Arthur died today. I think the cause of his toe being black and dead was that his toes were being pecked and bitten by the other baby turkeys that we have. We kept him in the house until he seemed better, other than balance problems from his toes, (after my initial post, 2 more of his toes turned black). Today, my found him and he had inexplicably died. We have no idea why. He didn't have any wounds and all of them had food, water, and warmth.

Back
Top Bottom