1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby turkey hisses at me

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by newham0614, Oct 18, 2010.

1. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    I don't think my baby likes me. It flares up and hisses when i try to pet it or pick it up. It has pecked me a little. It's a bourbon red. I don't want to get rid of it since i've only had it since saturday. How long will it take for the baby to come around?
    Thanks

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know turkeys but I do know that horses, dogs, and chickens can be bribed with carrots, anything, and mealworms, in that order. Good luck![​IMG]

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    My turkeys and pheasants hiss at night when I walk by their pens in the dark. Totally normal. Just give the bird some time. These aren't puppies or kittens. They are much closer to a wild animal than a dog or cat, in terms of domestication.

4. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    pick it up and hold it close to your heart it will chill I raised 6 bourbon reds they all did the same pecking and hissing at first they are very intelligent as turkeys go and they want to know about everything you do when they get older my flock follows me around and always wants to see whats up

5. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Oh boy do they follow you around. [​IMG] Tommy and Gertie were right behind me every step. Tommy still is every where I am, even when food is put down. He follows me and only goes back to his food after I go in the house and am not out there. They were raised in a large pen and had more human contact.

The new hen doesn't do it as much, but she is starting to follow me more. She was not penned up and totally free range, not much human contact.

They are all free range here, but I think since Tommy still follows me, she is picking up on doing it. When I go outside, if he is not around but hears me, he will come to find me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. poetswings

poetswings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I have my first turkeys
    .yay!
    Royal palms, now about 2 weeks old..
    Poe, Annabelle and Lee
    Who knew one could love a turkey
    Hand fed, cuddle bugs around my neck to sleep..
    Spoiled rotton
    This will get interesting as the getter bigger, and Bigger, and BIGGER
    lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by