Baby turkey leg injury

Can you feel the tendon moving around in the back of the leg? Can you push it back in place and wrap it with tape?

I just took a baby turkey to a vet to have a slipped tendon fixed... about the same age as yours... she pulled the leg back and stretched it, like the bird is stretching its leg back. Then she padded the joint so that the leg cannot fold up. The tendon will slip out if the leg bends, so try to keep it straight-ish for a few days. I tried to describe it the best I can, but let me know if you need a better descriptor. The vet also gave him some medicine and he was fine in 3 days.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

You don't need to tape the legs together. Just make sure the bad leg is somewhat straight. you can put the poult in a chick chair if she will tolerate it. also i don't think she has bumble foot. my poults's feet look like that too.
Ok, what’s a chick chair. Something you make. I think I’ve heard of it before but not sure what it looks like. She’s pretty easy going, she might use it if I can make it.

I think your poultry has slipped tendon (perosis).
Screenshot_20210622-073312.png

The swelling of that joint and the way it's twisted to the side are classical presentations of the disease. This disease is very difficult to treat once it is this advanced, so I recommend that you consult a veterinarian.

What are you feeding your turkey? Turkey poults need a proper turkey starter because it has the correct amount of protein, vitamins, minerals, & amino acids. Turkey poults should never be fed a "chick starter" since it does not contain the correct amount of protein, vitamins, minerals, & amino acids that points need.

This is her without bandages this morning. I’m going to give it a shot. Do you hear or feel a click so you know it’s back in place?
You can feel sort of a groove in the back of the joint, where the tendon should go. Compare it to the other leg.. The joint looks pretty swollen so the tendon might not go back to where it belongs. The vet gave my poult some medicine to make the swelling go down, but I don't know what it was. @casportpony might have recommendations for medicine.

Here she is after I straightened the tendon and vet wrapped it. Seems to be able to stand on it much better. I don’t know much about turkeys so I’m wondering is there something wrong with the other leg too? Almost bolegged, or is that a normal stance when eating. Just seems to me it shouldn’t be that bent.
What are you feeding your turkey? Turkey poults need a proper turkey starter because it has the correct amount of protein, vitamins, minerals, & amino acids. Turkey poults should never be fed a "chick starter" since it does not contain the correct amount of protein, vitamins, minerals, & amino acids that points need.
She is getting medicated turkey starter crumble.

Attachments

• 0FF255DB-F8A8-436D-A9B0-3E3B3FED8FA1.jpeg
    0FF255DB-F8A8-436D-A9B0-3E3B3FED8FA1.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 672FF142-F544-4F31-89C2-25F0867AB585.jpeg
    672FF142-F544-4F31-89C2-25F0867AB585.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom