Baby turkey leg injury

I think your poultry has slipped tendon (perosis).
View attachment 2729663

The swelling of that joint and the way it's twisted to the side are classical presentations of the disease. This disease is very difficult to treat once it is this advanced, so I recommend that you consult a veterinarian.
No vet in this city that will look at poultry. Parrots yes, chickens and turkeys, no. Really sad. So I’m the closest thing to a vet that she’s going to get.

It's a little hard to tell from your picture but turkeys should have the same stance as chicks. She might be compensating for the other leg, because it has been taped. Raised food dish might help. I am glad she is standing better. The anti-inflammatory medicine is pretty important for healing, because the tendon can't fit properly in the joint as long as it is swollen.

It's a little hard to tell from your picture but turkeys should have the same stance as chicks. She might be compensating for the other leg, because it has been taped. Raised food dish might help. I am glad she is standing better. The anti-inflammatory medicine is pretty important for healing, because the tendon can't fit properly in the joint as long as it is swollen.
What is a good anti inflammatory med? The foot swelled up a bit so I loosened the vet wrap a little. She’s quite the trooper. She knows I’m trying to help. When she lays on my lap, she stretches those legs out for me when I tried-wrapped.

What is a good anti inflammatory med? The foot swelled up a bit so I loosened the vet wrap a little. She’s quite the trooper. She knows I’m trying to help. When she lays on my lap, she stretches those legs out for me when I tried-wrapped.
@casportpony can you recommend something? Ibuprofen might work but I don't know how much is safe.

And
here she is after I tried to straighten her leg and then the good one started to have trouble. I Did tape them together because she started to go bow legged and still is, at least she’s not laying on her belly with her left leg sticking out to the side. I don’t think she’ll get much better. Would have worked better if she was younger. She’s already 4 1/2 weeks old.

And

here she is after I tried to straighten her leg and then the good one started to have trouble. I Did tape them together because she started to go bow legged and still is, at least she’s not laying on her belly with her left leg sticking out to the side. I don’t think she’ll get much better. Would have worked better if she was younger. She’s already 4 1/2 weeks old.
A sling (chick chair) might be better than taping legs together. Did you give her anti inflammatory meds ?

And

A sling (chick chair) might be better than taping legs together. Did you give her anti inflammatory meds ?
No, what kind? Sorry, the video didn’t come through.

Back
Top Bottom