Baby turkey stung by scorpion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sred98, Apr 14, 2011.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's a young BBW turkey. Probably a few weeks old. Still fluffy except on her wings. I saw her going for the scorpion then she started screaming and running around. Now she's laying down and rubbing her foot. I think it's a bark scorpion. But not 100% sure. Can I give her benadryl? Just a drop, I'd guess. That's what I do for the kids and dogs and older chickens. Do you think it's enough venom to kill her? It was pretty good size. Bigger than average. I'm guessing a female?

Thanks,

Shelly

2. Jen F

Jen F Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    Sorry I can't help. No scorpions here in KY.
    Hope your turkey gets better [​IMG]

3. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! I was finally able to catch her and it looks like it got her twice on the foot. She's got two bloody spots on the leg she's holding up. One of my hens ate the perpetrator. [​IMG]

Shelly

4. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    Do you really think it could kill her? I thought scorpions stung sort of like bees....

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
  6. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I was a little more concerned about her size and age. Along with the fact it stung her twice. I'm thinking she got lucky it was her foot, rather than her face!

Shelly

7. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    Seems like it could certainly send her into shock! Poor baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by