Baby Turkey with hurt neck

Gdy

Hatching
Jun 17, 2017
I found my baby turkey in my dogs mouth. We took him out and his neck seems to be distressed going in circles like it had no balance. We watered him and wrapped him up his neck seems to be getting a tad bit better. I don't know what to do, if I should kill him or not?
He was perfectly fine before.
-Thanks
Gdy

How long has it been? If he's improving, you could give it 3 days to see if he heals, but only you can see the situation, and make the assessment regarding if the turkey is suffering. If he's suffering, you might want to cull him. In the mean time, you might get some Poultry Nutri Drench, and give him some of that, and also give him some electrolytes. You can easily mix your own.

Homemade Pedialyte Recipe #2

1. 4 cups water.

2. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

3. 3 tablespoons sugar or honey (remember that babies can't have honey until they're at least 1 year old)

4. 1/2 teaspoon salt.

5. optional: 1/2 packet (old fashioned) unsweetened Kool-Aid

Wow, that's not good. Best you can do is keep it quiet and warm and see if it heals. Generally if they make it through the first night they will improve. Maybe keep another poult with it for company. I will cull if it's appears to be suffering too much, otherwise I would wait and see for a week or so before accessing it again.

Back
Top Bottom