Baby Turkey with leg injury :(

db1113

In the Brooder
May 16, 2019
Danielsville, PA
Please help! I have a baby bourbon red Turkey about 3 weeks old. He will not put any weight on one leg and will not move except to eat and drink. He still chirps very loudly which is good. When he lays down his one leg is extended instead of bent. It seems that leg joint is bigger than the normal leg. Is it broken or dislocated???? And is there anything I can do for this poor little guy????

Please help! I have a baby bourbon red Turkey about 3 weeks old. He will not put any weight on one leg and will not move except to eat and drink. He still chirps very loudly which is good. When he lays down his one leg is extended instead of bent. It seems that leg joint is bigger than the normal leg. Is it broken or dislocated???? And is there anything I can do for this poor little guy????
Look up perosis and its treatment.

Wow that was really insightful. Thank you for your help!! I have a bunch of chickens but don't know too much about turkeys.
Turkey poults require a higher protein feed that has increased levels of lysine, methionine and niacin than chicks need. Feeding turkey poults chick starter can cause perosis due to the insufficient amounts of niacin and thiamine.

Back
Top Bottom