Baby Turkeys! (PIC)

puckbunny87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Norco, CA
I picked up my BB Bronze & BB White turkey babies yesterday (3 of each) and no one warned me how freaking adorable they are!!

They look like baby chicks... but a little...off. When you reach into the pool (they're living in a kiddie pool at the moment), the chicks scatter, but the turkeys run right towards you! I haven't decided if this is them being friendly, or dumb. Lol.

Anyways, I'm hoping they'll get really large, ugly, and even a little mean... so that I'm not depressed during Thanksgiving dinner
tongue.png

turkeys.jpg

(this is like, Godzilla Turkey pic lol)

Oh I completely forgot about turkeys. I have been into chickens, pheasant, duck, and guineas and forgot about turkeys!!! got to go build another coop then.

After a week or two, they will get into this gangly adolescent stage and resemble something prehistoric. But none of mine have ever turned mean. when they really start developing their adult plumage with different tones of colour and start clucking and gobbling at you they become cute again.
We had one in particular last year that was really hard to butcher he was such a nice calm bird. But I did it anyhow and now and it is one of the best smoked turkeys Ever.

My son hatched out some of the neighbor's turkey eggs last year to take to fair.Dibbles and wibbler are still here and we just got them a gentleman.They are very loving and have alot of personality. He still holds them and they sit on his sholder. They are a great pet. They also been laying eggs since Jan.

Are you housing the turkey poults and chicks together? If so, you need to seperate them. Turkeys can (and will) get every disease chickens get, but it will kill turkeys quickly. Be especially weary of blackhead.

From my Raising Turkeys manual:

Blackhead is perhaps the most dangerous of the long list of turkey diseases. This sickness, which causes a black appearance of the head as the name implies, is often carried by chickens although they do not always show symptoms of the disease. It is for this reason that many contend that turkeys and chickens should never be produced on the same farm . . . however, if care is taken there is no logical reason why turkeys and chickens cannot be produced on the same property. Of course, it goes without saying, that these two birds should never be permitted to run together, that turkeys never be permitted to range on land that has previously ranged chickens and that the turkey fancier never walk from his chicken pen into turkey pens without first slipping on a pair of rubber boots that are kept for that purpose.​

I love me some baby turkeys!!!!!I got 2 BB bronze babies last year. One of them died, and the other.......well, she never made it to the table. She is so sweet. Her name is Large Marge......and it fits her well!!!
She has these HUGE legs, and she waddles around like I did when I was 9 months pregnant!!
lau.gif

I would love to know how much she weighs, but I can't lift her off the ground!!! I know the average for a BB hen is around 20-25 lbs., but I bet she weighs more than that!!

of=50,590,393

Check out my RB tom. He just can't understand why she doesn't adore him.......
idunno.gif
. I tried to tell him that she's not his type.

of=50,590,393

Back
Top Bottom