Baby turkeys won't eat

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dimitrischri, Apr 26, 2017.

1. dimitrischri

dimitrischri New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Cyprus/limassol
    Hi.
    I have hatched 6 turkeys chicks . They are 3 days old today and they won't eat. I have tried marbles and aluminum foil but it doestn seem to work. Any advice?
    Ty

2. BirdManInMo

BirdManInMo Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    Central Missouri
    Fold a couple of sheets of paper towels together and lay it in the bottom of your brooder.

Put some chick starter on the paper towel.

Simulate pecking at the feed with your finger to get them interested.

Or put a chicken chick in with them for them to imitate.

1 person likes this.
  3. dimitrischri

dimitrischri New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Cyprus/limassol
    Nice, i have put a chicken chick with them and the turkeys started mimic it and now they eat and they are fine.
    Thank you very much!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Glad they are eating now. [​IMG]

5. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm
    It seems that Turkey babies are more laid back they need more pushing, if you have another critter like a baby chick or something put it in there and it will teach the Turkeys to eat, or you could take your finger and move the feed like you're another bird ya know, also a trick is sometimes ya gotta mash the feed up even smaller.

EDIT: I just saw you got them to eat! GREAT! From now on don't worry about putting them with other birds as long as they are all around the same age / size. :D

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I have an old diamond engagement ring that I partially bury in the middle of the feed dish. They are fascinated by the "shiny" and peck at it, and soon they are all eating like champs. They can't hurt the ring, and it cleans up beautifully afterwards. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by