baby turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by hatchcrazzzy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    what do you feed baby turkeys blue slate babies how long do i feed them baby food then what do i give them

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I've had no problem feeding mine nonmedicated chick crumbles.

3. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Wild game bird starter, or wild game bird starter/grower. This has the needed mix of minerals to get them started, plus is has small grit in it. You usually can't find a bagged Turkey feed at farm stores where most small flock owners get there feed.

If the store where you will get feed has a seperate starter and grower. Usually it's starter for the first 7 week then grower for the rest of the time.

We fed out blue slates, and red bourbans a starter/grower for the first 13 weeks, then switched to a mixter of 50%starter/grower, 35% cracked corn, 15% rolled oats. Most did not like the rolled oats so we change to to 60% starter/grower and 40% cracked corn.

We also cut grass/weeds about every third day and bring to the ones still housed inside.

We have grit available for both the inside and out side housed bids.

We also give then scratch about every other day.

Tom

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We start ours on medicated 28% game bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks, then medicated chick starter 20% until 16 weeks, by then they are ready to join the rest of the "gang" so they can forage and there is 16% layer free choice. Usually in the afternoons they get whole corn, or extra hardboiled eggs, or extras from the garden.

When we did birds for Thanksgiving at 16 weeks we switched to a pellet 18% grow and finish and fed that untill processing

Steve in NC

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can only get 20% gamebird starter and 20% turkey ration.

I feed starter for several weeks them switch them to the grower ration.

6. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Yep, we are using game bird starter here. They are growing fast and looking good.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Agreed on what the others said above.
    I had an excess of chicken eggs, so I hardboiled them and fed just the yolks to my heritage turkey babies for the first 2-3 weeks to supply them with the extra protein they needed. (the whites got mashed and fed to the chickens.) This is not for everybody, and it takes extra time, but I was concerned that the babies weren't getting enough protein, since my feed mix wasn't very high in protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by