Baby turkies driving me

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lilshadow, May 1, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    NUTS! I bought 5 baby turkies, and they are the loudest I have ever heard. They don't stop, does anyone know how to get them to stop just for 10 minutes? LOL Please help [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Didn't think they were that bad. Just the peep, peep-peep, peep-peep peep peeep-peeep, peep-peep-peeep-peep, if one accidnetly gets lost on the opposite side of the feeder, and the cherp-peep, cherp-peeep when they are happy. :p

3. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    When do they sleep...[​IMG]

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    In a few days you wont notice the noise anymore. Nope all your attention will be on their stink. I dont know how they get all that stink in those little fuzzy butts, but DANG!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Simple, they make it in the fuzzy bottoms and drop it EVERYWHERE!

6. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    Are you telling me they smell worse than ducks?????:eek:

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Do you notice a difference in frequency/intensity of the peeping based on whether they can see your or not? If so, they're just calling to their new mama hen (imprinting).

Give `em a few weeks then it will be: Louder and more insistent (`take us outside!!')
    [​IMG]

And this: (loud and insistent at sundown `bring us in!!!') Then dead to the world
    [​IMG]

And, no, other than some gassy moments from the 30% protein Game Bird Starter, the five poults were no `stinkier' than eleven chook chicks (but the bedding was changed out daily). When they hit twenty-five Pounds, or thereabouts, the utility of wearing mudboots out back will become apparent... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    The first batch of turkey poults I had were non-stop cryers. I vowed to never do turkeys again. And they had a _loud_ voice. Then I found out they were too warm and, being the educated babies they were, had decided to escape the heat by piling on top of one another under the heat lamp. They seemed to firmly believe that hiding under a mass of hot bodies would shield them from the lamp's evil rays.

This made the screaming even worse.

Our latest batch of poults is _far_ different. They very rarely make a noise, and when they do it is a neat, quiet trilling noise. When they do get upset they will cry, and if you look hard enough you'll usually find out what they are demanding (more food, water without the bedding they enjoy stuffing in the base, more heat, less heat, more light, less light, etc). After you figure that out they're great.

Turkeys are rapidly becoming my second favorite bird. The babies know _nothing_ and rely on you (or chicks) to learn all they are supposed to know. They're quieter than chicks and when one decides to escape during a cage cleaning they're less likely to panic and run for cover than chicks and ducklings. Our miniature Houdini, who doesn't believe in gravity, has escaped a few times. Each time he'll stand in the middle of the room crying for you to come back. When you do you can scoop him up and plop him back in the cage without an issue. Far better than trying to get behind the television for the panicked duckling that is even -more- frightened now that he's in a jungle of wires and vicious dust bunnies [​IMG]

Good luck with your poults. Try experimenting around with heating and lighting (while keeping a -very- close eye on them to make sure they're safe). Another way of mellowing out practically anything is by playing music. Any music is fine, though soft music is probably the best, like classical and "Pure Moods." They can become familiar with weird sounds and have something to listen to.

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

they may be cold or hot, thats normally why they peep. I know i have 17 babie wild easterns right now. They are happy right now so there is barley a peep out of them, for the past 2 weeks its been peaceful..

charlie

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  10. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Do you have a themometer in their brooder? Mine would whine if they were to cold. If was definitely a different type peep from their happy chirp. I also had one that would do the panic peep b/c it wanted my daughter to hold it all the time. They are BIG babies. Good luck & enjoy them. They can be a lot of fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by