1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Turtle's

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ButtonQuailBoy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    [​IMG]

Okay there is a dollar store in my town that sells a lot of different stuff...unfortunately the people there speak little English they speak mostly Chinese...They don't really do things proper there...they sell lighters to little kids...but that's not the thing today I walked in and seen the most horrific thing in my life...they were selling slider turtle babies...but they were in a decorative wooden bird cage!!!! All dried up and everything...I broke down and bought them...They only cost me $4 for them all!

What I need to know is

What kind of shape are they in?
    How big can they get?
    are they a health hazard? (salmonella?)
    Are they legal?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

They look good, They will get about 12 inches so they will need a roomy aquarium. All baby turtles carry a risk of having Salmonella, so as long as you make sure you wash you hands well after handling them, you will be fine. As far as Legal, I am not sure, most states have an under 4 inches rule/law. You are not allowed to sell turtles under 4 inches unless it is for educational purposes. That is the law In De anyway. You should also have a spot for them to get completely out of the water and be allowed to dry or they can get an infection or fungus. I will do some research on that for you too..it has been a long time since I have had babies!
    Here is a care sheet on the Red-eared Sliders. (that is what they are)

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/red-ear-slider.php

Here is another great link that will help you out!!

http://turtlesrus.blogspot.com/2006/03/starting-out-with-semi-aquatic-turtles.html

I think it is wonderful that you saved them! I did the same thing at a flea market 3 years ago, there were these poor little turtles out in a tank in the sleet and snow! I bought them all and luckily my friend had a nice big turtle tank for them!

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I THINK in my state,GA, they are illegal to sell if they are smaller than 2 inches. Teachers and such can have them for educational purposes. Once you have them, you are probably ok but the store could get fined. They look fine to me. The reason you can;t sell tiny turtles is they are more likely to carry salmonella. I don't know much about them, hopefully someone else will chime in.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

5. alyssa558

alyssa558 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Red-eared Sliders are an invasive species, so make sure you don't let them go!

You are so kind to rescue them. I have heard about that kind of thing happening, but people selling them for food.

I would suggest calling Animal Control or Fish and Wildlife and reporting the store. They should not be allowed to perpetrate that kind of cruelty.

6. Bec

That's a good idea, I would report them too!

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That's ridiculous. Sadly, since you bought them, they'll continue to sell them. I searched DCNR and cannot find wild turtle regulations. Please call 570 675 1143, it's NEPA's regional Game Commission office. I'd hate to see you get nailed with a fine for housing illegal wildlife or something.

8. Bec

I am pretty sure they aren't illegal to keep as pets, most pet stores sell them as adults with no permit needed, but a call wouldn't hurt.

9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    My baby turtles are now 5 years old. They are easy to care for but must have water so they don't dry out and also a dry space so they can get out of the water when they want to.

They love to eat minnows and earthworms and stuff like that. It can make the water very dirty. They also sale turtle pellets. Many people feed them goldfish but around here minnows are a whole lot cheaper. The bigger they get the bigger fish they can eat.

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    They are LEGAL in PA!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by