1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby vitamins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CTChickenMom, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I have chicks coming the first week in April...would it be a good to give them some PolyVysol in their water when they arrive? I've heard many talk about it here, actually used it with my children. What is the ratio when putting it in the water or should I give each chick a little drop right in their mouth?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Make sure you don't get the kind with added Iron. as it is bad for them ! I use the vitamin/electrolyte poder from the feed store in my chicks water until they are about 9 weeks old. The baby vitamins might be ok but they are not formulated for chickens as the other is.

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep Dlhunicorn's (a member here) recipe on hand for such occasions - there are two different ones....
    here is a recipe for a homemade Ringers solution from a rehabber (you do need salt substitute though):

1 1/4 teaspoon sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)

1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

rounded 1/2 teaspoon potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash" >>>Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)

2 tablespoons glucose (a common source is corn syrup)

add above to 1/2 gallon water

If you do not have that then you can make your own emergency electrolyte solution:
    (emergency electrolyte solution WHO):
    1 cup of water
    2 tsp. sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    (make fresh daily)

I also like to have Avia Charge 2000 for them for any stressful times.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by