Baby Wild Rabbit injured by Dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the Old Rebel, May 16, 2009.

1. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Please help!! My neighbor's dog caught a wild baby bunny. The dog tore up the baby's head, but it looks like it just tore off the hair and skin. I haven't found any deep bite wounds yet. It lost some blood though.

The bunny appears to be about 3 weeks old (???). I am going to try to get a picture on here if I can figure out how to do it.

Here are my questions. They may seem stupid, but I don't want to do something to hurt the little one more. What should I give it to eat?? Would it still be nursing on occasion?? What type of bedding should I put it on?? Would dirt be better than pine shavings?? I have dried timothy grass for my other New Zealand White bunny. Would that be too rich for this baby?? How should I treat the wound. I've already cleaned it with warm water and applied Povidone iodine that I know is safe for a bird's skin. I cut off a piece of skin that was hanging off his head. Do I need to put it on a heating pad??

We are having a terrible thunderstorm with lightning, so I have to go offline for a little while, but I'll check back here as soon as I can. Please, somebody, help if you can. I'll appreciate ANY help you can give me.

Thanks!
    the Old Rebel

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    You should call a wild life rescue or rehab place A.S.A.P.
    In some states it is actually illegal to care for injured wild life unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabilitation.

What the rabbit needs most right now is people who are trained in caring for these types of situations. I know you mean well, but more likely then not the rabbit will not survive in your care.

Please for the rabbit, call a Animal Rehabilitation Place. You can google your state or city and "wildlife rehabilitation" and see what comes up. Or you can call your local animal control and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

3. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I second what Anny said.............a wildlife rehab person, a.s.a.p.
    Baby bunnies are extremely delicate, and can actually drop dead from fright!
    They are soooooooooooooo cute tho', aren't they? And it 'is' very tempting to try
    and help it yourself; but if it were me, I'd call rehab.............

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If you know where the nest is place it back, the mother will return to feed it, last year my DIL return ones her dog got, they made it ok,except missing a ear.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Agree with Anny. Be very cautious. This is a wild animal you have in your possession. Yes, it's very cute, but baby rabbits can rip you wide open. It's best bet is to go to someone who is equipped to deal with it. I tried to save some baby bunnies when I was a kid. I will spare you the gory details and just say "Don't do it!" ER visits are long and expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by