Baby with a cling on! Not from Star Trek....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrandmrschicken, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Had one hatch early this am and it still has a shriveled up chunk of yolk, hanging off its butt and appears to be attached. Will this fall off or should I remove it. Appears to be a tiny bit of blood still by its vent. Not bleeding, but I can see it.

Also, same baby has at least one curled under toe. Will this straighten out or should I intervene. Then what should be done?

Thanks for your input.

2. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Is it dried or still wet? If wet then it may still be absorbed.

If truly dried out it will rot off, like a baby's umbilical chord. Or if it is only stuck to the fuzz, then use a wet Q-tip to try to remove it. Or sissors.

Never pick it up with your hand, you may pick the chick up by its navel and pull part of its insides out.

It sounds like it's a bit of a premie. I think I would wait and see. Good luck!

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    U should post that in the emergencies spot.

4. mrandmrschicken

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I should add, the chick is fine and healthy. The yolk is shriveled so I will leave it alone and wait for it to dry up and fall off. Thanks for your input.
    Still curious about the toes though?

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Sometimes the toes will straighten out by themselves but, if they aren't improved by tomorrow, I would put a little "boot" on his foot to straighten them. I'll go see if I can find a link to doing it and get back to you.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html Here you go. Scroll down until you get to the section about curled toes. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I have had a chick hatch like this once...we left the chick in the incubator and within an hour the yolk had mostly absorbed and a small bit had dropped off. The chick is fine and healthy to this very day [​IMG]

Good luck with your chick, sorry i can't help you with the toe.

7. mrandmrschicken

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Thanks for the post birdlover. Great link. I will try that if not seeing improvement by this evening.

8. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    One of my chicks had curled feet when it hatched and by day two they straightened out fine.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  9. mrandmrschicken

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Quote:Glad to hear that.
    I put chick in separate tray in the brooder. Had a meeting and while I was gone, I think one of the bigger chicks jumped in the tray and pecked baby. Not looking well at all. Put it back in the bator in a tray to see how it does. it seems to be cheeping an awful lot. Still have one egg to hatch tomorrow and it may be talking to it, I don't know but I am very concerned [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by