Baby with a messed up leg and hip, hip is kind of popped out and cant walk

Letteyablaizeon

In the Brooder
May 19, 2019
Hello, this is my first post as well as first time with chicks. I work at a school and the kindergarten hatches eggs. On Friday we got there and there was a chick hatched but it was stuck upside down and his one leg was splayed out. I carried him around most of the day and banded his legs. He has been fed with a dropper and has his legs banded for 3 days. His right hip seems out of place but he is now scooting around the tub, preening and pecking at the food ( not the water I have to do that with a dropper) he is on electrolytes as well. He has a fighting spirit and is gaining strength each day. I just don't know if I should be doing something else or if he is going to make it in the long run. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20190519_160050.jpg
    20190519_160050.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190518_162110.jpg
    20190518_162110.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi @Letteyablaizeon :frow Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry about your chick.

You mention that he's scooting around in a tub. Is that a slick surface? If it is, then provide him traction - shelf liner works well.

If you think he may have a dislocated hip, you can try the instructions by @WVduckchick in the following link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/1-5-week-old-splayed-leg-chick.1202510/#post-19057475

Provide the chick with 1/4 tablet of human B-Complex daily, you can put that in his feed or dissolve that in some water and give it to him that way.

Hi @Letteyablaizeon :frow Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry about your chick.

You mention that he's scooting around in a tub. Is that a slick surface? If it is, then provide him traction - shelf liner works well.

If you think he may have a dislocated hip, you can try the instructions by @WVduckchick in the following link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/1-5-week-old-splayed-leg-chick.1202510/#post-19057475

Provide the chick with 1/4 tablet of human B-Complex daily, you can put that in his feed or dissolve that in some water and give it to him that way.

Thank you for the help and he has bedding on the bottom of the tub, but he has a hard time moving in that as well.
I would take out the bedding. Put down some puppy pads or shelf liner. Or a strip of liner on top of puppy pads. Pads are easy cleanup when chicks are in the house and less dust too.
The link below has a video (toward the bottom of the page) in it which may give you an idea how to set that up. If nothing else, it's adorable. https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

This is what it looks like from the side. I tried resetting the hip it didn't work and bit was Bleu not happy. In the pic you can see he has purple next to his leg I assume its bruised. I dont kno tho...

Attachments

• 20190519_214407.jpg
    20190519_214407.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 12
Poor little guy. Do you have vet wrap that you can use to hobble the legs? Something stretchy sometimes works better than tape.
I have had them hobbled for 3 days not the leg no longer splayes out to the side just forward and thr hip still sticks out. I made him a chick Walker without wheels so he can stand upright. I've been doing chick physical therapy with him 4 to five times a day in between dropper feedings. It may just be a deformity... I have 75 kindergarten kids, 40 1st graders and all of our teachers rooting for Bleu. I hope he makes it

Attachments

• 20190518_162110.jpg
    20190518_162110.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC. Just a few thoughts I had...

Hello, this is my first post as well as first time with chicks. I work at a school and the kindergarten hatches eggs.

What a great experience for the children! They must really be excited.

...I just don't know if I should be doing something else or if he is going to make it in the long run. Any help would be appreciated

I don't know what life lessons your school is trying to teach the children with hatching chicks, but not every chick is going to survive despite your best efforts. I'm sure there is a life/nature lesson somewhere there in when a chick is born not normal. They would not survive on their own.

...If you think he may have a dislocated hip, you can try the instructions by @WVduckchick in the following link.

I would certainly give that a try, but the chick in that thread died on its own. You may have to cull the chick if it does not improve, but it sounds like you have lots of other hatch-lings to care for.

I would certainly give that a try, but the chick in that thread died on its own. You may have to cull the chick if it does not improve, but it sounds like you have lots of other hatch-lings to care for.
Unfortunately that is a reality a lot of times with chicks that have leg problems, they just don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom