Baby with the chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gazinga, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i have a 1 year old baby who is facinated with the chickens. Given the assumption that th ecoop is clean and all the chickens are healthy, what is the opinion of letting the baby play with the chickens? supervised of course.............however.............maybe i just found my solution to day care![​IMG] (baby in a coop, lololololol)

2. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    I know what the experts say.. "No one under the age of 5 should handle poultry". But my granddaughter and nieces love the chickens. My granddaughter can be seen carrying an orpington who is bigger than her around the yard. What I do is change their shirts and wash their hands real well when they are done. Also strategically placed around my yards and coops are bottles of hand sanitizer.

I can't tell you to let the baby play with the chicks or not. But this is the technique that I use.

Have fun

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I'd be really worried about the baby eating chicken poop and if there are chicks the baby could squeeze them to death. I've let my youngest hold a chick when she was about 1.5 and then decided to wait until she's over 2 to try again b/c she just got too excited and wants to HOLD it. But, my almost 4 yr old has been petting them/holding them and caring for them for well over a year, just as forementioned, sanatation is the key.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well supervised during the interaction, and well washed hands afterwards and I think they will all be just fine.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Be careful my youngest accidently hurt a babyquail and broke its leg. the quail made it(thank god a male) but has a odd walk now, so he will be the one i try my first cull on. On the other hand i have no issues letting her catch a muscovy duck , they are sturdy enough for her to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by