baby wood duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jujubean99, Jun 8, 2010.

1. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    I was sitting on the dock and I saw a tiny tiny baby duck running around on the lake all alone and cold and wet and scared, so I got him. he is in the bathroom in a box w the heater on. What should I do? What does he eat, drink, need? I have never rescued a baby duck before, I want him to be ok!!! Help?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Was MOM no where around? You might try to return it to the lake but keep an eye on it, maybe MOM was just hiding from you. Good Luck

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    You probably should have left him alone. Cold and wet?? He's a DUCK right?? Unless he was out there for over 24+ hours alone, chances are momma duck is looking for him now.

So too late now. First thing you need to do is call Fish & Game and see if you're breaking the law and if they have people to take care of him.

I would imagine water and duck starter food.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Call a wildlife rehabilitator or, as Wolfwoman said, Fish and Game.

5. jujubean99

Apr 5, 2010
    Mother was no where around. I watched for a little while and I saw no other ducks on the lake but a group of drakes. The little fellow was crying and lost looking and I don't think he would have survived the night. There are duckling eating bullfrogs and lots of raccoons and birds on the lake who would like this guy as a snack. I would like to know if I should feed him duck starter or if that is not acceptable for wild ducks? What care does he need to live?

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Even if you couldn't see Mama duck, she was probably around. They will leave their ducklings for periods of time and then come back.

You can get some non-medicated chick starter and see if he'll eat that.

It is illegal to take ducks from the wild, so you really should contact someone who can take the duckling and rehabilitate it so it can be released into the wild again. Try contacting terrielacy, she may be able to point you in the direction of a local rescue.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:What is acceptable is call your state DNR , they will take it. Oh you just broken a federal law....

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Wow Everyone being so rude to you! Im sorry. I would keep a heat lamp on it and what do you have available? I think i saw somewhere chick starter works. Im not too sure with ducks.
    Keep in mind its illegal so be careful.

God luck ! You saved a life tonight.
    Mark

9. jujubean99

Apr 5, 2010
    I called the local wildlife rehab place and I am bringing him in to them now, thanks for the info.! They say they just got in a couple more baby wood ducks, so the little guy should be happy there!!! Right now he is laying down by the heater sleeping [​IMG]

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:[​IMG] yayy good job !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by