baby woodduck help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jnkir7, May 19, 2011.

1. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    can anyone tell me how to get a baby woodduck to eat it was found running down the middle of the highwAY in the middle of town, and brought to me , i need help

2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Try pecking at the food with your hands, like another duck eating, he should get the idea....or you could just get him a buddy to show him how.

I posted a similar question on here not long ago. [​IMG]

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Make sure you're offering it the right type of food. IIRC, they seem to enjoy various insects like mealworms (in moderation), as well as wet chick starter (NON-MEDICATED).

You might try putting the food on a shiny surface like a piece of aluminum foil, and using something like a pencil or skewer to simulate pecking action.

It should start to eat on its own if old enough. They don't really eat much for about the first 24 hours, since they are still absorbing the rest of the yolk.

4. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Shiny surface sometimes works, and occasionally you can teach them to eat. But I have found the most successful way to get a wood duckling to eat is to put her in with another breed of duckling. (a mallard maybe?) Something simmaler sized is better. Adding another duckling is also importaint because ducklings should never be raised alone.
    Post pictures of the new baby [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by