baby yellow duck with a afro puff

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dirty_South_Chickens, May 23, 2011.

1. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Took the kids to atwoods and let them pick out 3 baby ducks not sure what breed as it wasn't posted. One of the three has a little afro puff on the crown of its head...what is it? Also if anybody knows what kinda duck atwoods carries that would be cool too. Thanks

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    A fuzzy yellow duckling sounds like a Pekin and one with a puff on the head sounds like a Crested Pekin. There are pros and cons to it. some get really big and others don't, some need trimming and some you don't want to touch. If you search it there are lots of people that have them. I think they are really cute but I've hit my limit for ducks this season.

3. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Hey thanks I just looked up crested pekin and cracked up! I hope they are as laid back as my chickens...time will tell I guess

4. Espeonspirit

Espeonspirit New Egg

May 27, 2013
    I have one too! At first I thought it was a tumor and freaked out! But glad to know its just a breed :)

5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I have Pekins and half are crested. My female is non crested but my drake is... I incubate their babies trying to breed crestedness out but so far I have gotten half ducklings with crests and half uncrested... crested or not...Pekins are just nuts!

6. duck-horselover

duck-horselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    defiantly a crested pekin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by