Babychick 911

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    OMG! 5AM I woke up to lots of loud peeping. Frantic peeping! I went to investigate and 2 of my newborns, still wet, had somehow got themselves around the back of one of the egg crates and had got their necks wedged between the bottom screen and the side of the hatcher. So much for keeping the hatcher shut. I had to open it, move things around and get them out. Got my finger burned on the coil in the process and the poor babies...oh my! One is OK I'm pretty sure but the other one looks so very exhausted. It must have been trapped in there for a long time because it just lays there panting.

What a way to start their lives...if they make it thru this they'll be tough birds. They are standard brown cochins. One is so active he almost got himself in trouble again before I had the cover on! I had to wedge a washcloth inbetween that spot and while I was working on that he was jumping and flopping all over the place, still soaking wet from being born. I'm gonna have to come up with a special name for that one...he's making quite the impression.

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Wow. *lol* What a way to wake up (and start their lives, huh? [​IMG] ) Just let the one that's exhausted rest and get dried up, then I'd move it to the brooder and offer it some food and water. Good luck!

3. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Well, it was to be expected that one didn't make it, but the other one is fine so far. I now have 5 in the warmer and 2 in the hatcher and I'm hoping for a couple more.

Gotta sit on my hands now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by