BabyChick with a deformed foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rafter3ranch, Jan 8, 2017.

1. rafter3ranch

rafter3ranch New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    I have a chick that was born with a deformed foot .She is a month and half old now and get's around on it good. My question is can I put her in with other banty chicks later on or is she just gonna have to be a house chicken? She has a friend with her now and she does well with her but she is smaller than her .

2. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I would try introducing them slowly and see how it goes. If she's doing really well on it, they might not even notice. I mean, what kind of deformity are we talking about? If it's something that causes an entirely different walking gait versus a slight limp, the reactions will probably be different.

There is almost always a little pecking at first when you introduce newbies, so keep that in mind. Also, the friend you said she's got-is that buddy old enough to join the banties with her? It's always easier for two to join a flock than one.

I am going to be dealing with this myself soon as I have a 3-week-old chick born missing a leg. She has a buddy with her and hops around fine, but I wonder how she'll do with others. I think I'll put her in with my two silkies, as they are not full-grown themselves and silkies have a reputation for tolerating "different" birds. Do you have a smaller flock like that that she could join?

If none of that works, she might be better off as a house chicken. Also keep in mind that, if it does affect her walking quite a bit (like, if she's not able to run) it might be dangerous for her to be outside, unless your coop is quite secure.

Post pics if you can, we'd love to see her!

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    There is only one way to know for sure try it and see what happens. It usually will result in her being at the bottom of the pecking order. As long as the flock does not draw blood I think she may be fine.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. rafter3ranch

rafter3ranch New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Nice to meet you I love the pigeons! Great job !

5. rafter3ranch

rafter3ranch New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you and I will try to take a picture of her shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by