Babydoll Southdown Sheep -- breeding question

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
Does anyone have Babydoll Southdown Sheep? Or maybe even the regular-sized southdowns? I am wondering when/if I need to separate my ram from my ewes to control breeding. I've read that sheep breeding is triggered by shortening daylengths (which is happening now since the solstice was in June) -- if I leave them together, am I headed for winter lambs? I really don't want winter lambs, obviously, and I also still have to do some research about the best feed/mineral supplements for breeding before I let them breed.
I had hoped to keep them together so it would be easier to rotate pastures to prevent overgrazing (I currently only have two) but I'm willing to do what it takes!
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
-Lynda

Quote:
I grew up with sheep...Normal size Southdowns. I honestly don't know how often the ewes will cycle.....we always put them together in late fall for spring lambs. A cow will cycle about once a month if not bred but I don't know if ewes are like that or not.

I raise Old English babydoll sheep and have done so since 1999.

Previously I had the rams and ewes running together, and they bred once a year, either with twins or a single lamb. My ewes and rams have run together for the last 8 years with no problems

This year I have separated them, ewes in one pasture and rams in another and in the fall will put a new ram in with the ewes for spring breeding for a different bloodline.

I have read that babydoll sheep can breed twice a year, but this has not been my experience.

I get a mineral mix , from an organic supplier in PA, I feed about 2 oz per head.

Hope this helps you some.

Back
Top Bottom