daidyducks

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Ontario,CA
It sounds more like crying to my ears
sad.png
could she be hurt? Lonely?
She just reached 4 months and 1 week 2 days ago. I thought maybe she was getting ready to lay but my boyfriend said it's probably too early.

She does have a drake as a partner and everyday he gets on top of her trying to mate but because of their age difference I separate them. She's very small too so I don't want him to start mating now. Could he have Hurt her?

Also, I don't want her to mate and have ducklings because I Can't keep them and I wouldn't be able to take them from her. I want her to just lay, is having the drake a bad idea? Should I get rid of him and get a female??

Thanks for all your help! I know I can always go to you guys!!
smile.png

(I did try search but I didn't find anything similar)

well, if you don't want babies to deal with it is simple, just take the eggs away from her on a daily basis when she starts to lay. I don't know what breed they both are, but in most (not all) cases the drake is larger than the female. Also, you mentioned you seperate them. This could be why she is so loud. If you think you need to seperate them I would just do a wire between them and that is it so they can still see each other etc. Good Luck.

I would guess it's because she is crying for her buddy. Ducks have a very strong need for a friend/mate. Their flock mentality is CRAZY strong and they HATE being separated from their buddies/flock.

I don't know what breed of ducks you have, but in the photo looks like a Pekin. If that's so, she probably wouldn't sit on the eggs anyway. Actually, there are few breeds of domestic duck that are likely to sit on eggs. Doesn't mean she won't for sure, but it's against the odds.

Quote:
Oh yea, they totally loose it when you take any away from the others.
I agree that she is calling her buddy. So either trade the drake for a female or make a divider so they can still chit chat and not be alone.

Quote:
That's what everyone told me. Now I have a broody Pekin hen on a nest of 7 eggs due in a week or two.
lol.png

But the other posters are right, if you take the eggs away every morning, she will never have a chance to sit on them, and you will never have babies. You should not worry about separating them, I am sure they will be WAY happier together.
smile.png

Hey guys thanks for the response!!
Yea they are Pekin but I only separate them at night; she woke me up one morning when they were sleeping together because he was on her, it sounded to me like she was scared. Other than that they're together all day! He follows her everywhere and she follows him as well but since yesterday she started quacking and doesn't stop, hasn't stopped since . She just walks around quacking. I don't know what to think, I think Shea scared sad hurt.
hmm.png
and it hurts me cause she's still my baby.
could it also be that he got the chance to impregnate her??
If she does end up laying though, I'll take your guys advice! :p

Again, thank you all!!!

Yeah, it's not so much "impregnating her" as much as it is fertilizing the eggs. But having fertile eggs, is really very commonplace. The only time they actually turn into babies, is if they're incubated, or sat on. If you remove them as normal, everyday, then they're just eggs. Even if they have the potential to be more. Make sense?

Ducks breed all the time, it should not scare or bother her. It may look scary, or she may make noises, but I am sure she's fine. If she starts to look picked over, or has bare spots, you may have more cause for concern. But for now, I am sure you're fine.
smile.png

Wait, what do you mean it's just an egg? After removing the eggs am I supposed to just throw them away? Do the ducks not know what the egg is? Or what would become of it?? Cause I don't think I can ever take my girls eggs away from her.

&okay, I guess I should just see what comes of it. If I start noticing Any bad signs I'll replace him.
smile.png

lau.gif
Yes!! They are just eggs. Take them away from her and cook them up for your breakfast. Once she lays an egg shes only going to walk away from it!!! If you dont take her eggs away they will sit in the heat, go rotten and EXPLODE!! But if you dont want to take her eggs away ever then just leave them there by the end of the year you will have a few hundred out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom