Baby's fighting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mumtoakl, Jan 6, 2015.

1. mumtoakl

mumtoakl New Egg

Jan 3, 2015
    Oregon
    So I have a six day old chick and a. brand new chick hatched this morning. Is it normal for the older one to peck at the new baby or do I need to separate them

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I would just use common sense. Pecking isn't necessarily aggressive. It can be exploratory in nature. You should be able to tell the difference by watching the two chicks closely.

3. mumtoakl

mumtoakl New Egg

Jan 3, 2015
    Oregon
    I've never had chickens before so I'm not sure what "normal" is. Sorry

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would put a divider between the week old chicks and the hatchling until that hatchling is up and running around, appearing to be well coordinated. Then you can put one of the older chicks in with the hatchling, and keep rotating older chicks in for supervised play dates, then finally take the divider out.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What is normal? Chicks use their beaks to explore their world, including each other. A peck that is more like a "poke" is exploratory. A peck that is more like a jack hammer or power drill and appears to be causing pain to the "peckee" is aggressive and needs to be curtailed.

What is the reaction of the new chick to being "pecked"? Does it react as though in pain?

It's not unusual for there to be aggression among chicks, but there's usually a lot more neighborly-type pecking going on as they learn who is in their world and discover where each ranks in it. When chicks are bullying one another, you'll know it when you see it.

By the way, I would be surprised if there was any further pecking beyond that initial peck when you introduced the hatchling into the brooder. It's normal to greet a new-comer in that fashion with a peck on the head. They all usually go about their business after that and there's no further pecking unless someone needs to reaffirm their rank. Then it's just a single peck. Continued flurries of pecking is aggression. Then you need to intervene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by