Baby's First Day Out

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stano40, Apr 26, 2009.

1. stano40

stano40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Baby's First Day Out

My wife Michelle is a little happier these days especially after getting 9 new baby chicks from the chicken swap held in Chichester, NH last Saturday.

She was kinda in the dumps because she received an email telling here her shipment of 15 polish hens wouldn't arrive until the end of May. So now she can play mama to these new babies.

Whenever my wife starts mentioning things to me like, "I think I'll take the babies out today for some fresh air in the yard". That means I have to go out too and build a quick pen area for them to play in and bring chair's over so she can sit and watch them play.

So I built the area by driving 4 stakes into the ground and tying on some green plastic fencing I use in the garden and just big enough for them to peck around in, everybody was happy.

Until one of the little one's showed a few other's a neat trick. The chick looked at my wife and just drove himself head first through the fence, shook himself off a little, stared at Michelle as if to say "That was fun".

Michelle scooped him up and put him back into the play area and I had to go get some boards to place around the bottom of the pen to prevent escapes.

The chicks we only out for a 1/2 hour and they did have fun. Running around pecking at everything. My son wanted to see what they would do with a tiny worm and they ran away from it. A couple intrepid souls pecked at first and just left it alone. One stepped on it and hobbled off like he stepped ihn dog poo, shaking his foot.

Here's Michelle's new babies courtesy of shay20, 1chickmagnet & two new people we met at the swap that we bought from.

She got a pair of buff polish chicks, a silkie/orpington mix chick, 2 silkie's, 1 cochin & 3 bantam's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bob

2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Very cute!!

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    awwwwwwww very cute!

i love the buff polish. pretty birds!

4. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    I ran like I've never ran before. Nothing could stop me now. I have the whole world laid out in front of me. [​IMG] I took a quick glance back and gave every chicken behind a friendly, "Neener, neener, neener." [​IMG]

Oh hey, what's that??? Put me down. What are you doing??? No, don't put me back in there with the rest of those chickens! I'm special I tell you - special, special, special!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by