Baby's first mealworm

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 4cats3kids1hubby2many, May 11, 2010.

1. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

4cats3kids1hubby2many Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Okay, we went to the big city today for the dentist for one of the kid's (people kid). While there we went to Petco and bought mealworm for the baby girls. WHAT A HOOT. Giving them to the Girlies was hilarious. It started off with one coming up and then two to check it out...they are still in their bit of timid stage. By the end they were all standing on my feet begging for more. How long of memory to chickens have? Will they remember that I am the goodie bringer tomorrow? Is it a bad thing that we bought the people children, dog children, and chicken children a treat at the big city? Here a few photos of the big moment...the last one is an action shot..she actually jumped in the air and grabbed the meal worm from the hubby's fingers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best $5 I ever spent...so funny.

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Try crickets next time, it is so much fun watching them chase them down, and they are sooo proud when they finally catch one! I've been giving my babies mealworms lately too, and they are almost scared until they realize how tasty they are. [​IMG]

3. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    We almost bought crickets...but figured they were too young for moving food. Is it morbid how funny this is? My girls were very unsure at first too....once they realized this was a tasty treat...they were doing tug of war and running around and chasing and pushing...tooo hilarious.

4. newwithchickens

newwithchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    i dug up some earthworms for my girls kind of the same thing at first they were very UNSURE untill the first one tried one [​IMG] then it was a bit chase/race to see who could get it and get away long enough to accually get it eatin [​IMG]

5. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:That is exactly what the Girls were doing. Kinda a smash-and-grab. How funny. I will have to dig up earth worms since I can not regularly get bug-treats for them. Thanks for the idea.

6. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Crickets? Meal worms? Pfffft! That's nothing! You should see what happens when the girls discover a small tree frog in their run! [​IMG] OMG! Poor little frog! I felt so sorry for him/her. But, in my own defense, it all happened so fast there wasn't a prayer on Earth that could save it once FussyButt spied him in the run. Before I could do anything, five of her sisters had joined in and literally..... ummmm... I'm not going into the details. Y'all have good imaginations and can picture the scene for yourselves. [​IMG] Suffice it to say, if you're not squeamish, and really want to watch some intense chicken entertainment, give them a small frog! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:Chickens are actually very brutal...kinda like a cat with a mouse. Poor froggy. Sorry, I had to chuckle though. Chickens are so funny.

8. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Oh, and BTW....the cookie sheet, ya, I put it in to kinda have a point for the babies to realize that this is for treats. Seems to work. Just an old cookie sheet. No, I don't just go leaving cookie sheets lying around. [​IMG]

9. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute chicks, love the action shot! Bought a meal worm starter kit fro Silly Chickens last December, nice kit. One thing led to another and now have 15 one gallon containers of beetles and worms. So nice to have a steady supply of treats! The chickens love them. So far the 'temporary' house chicken, an injured hen, has not discovered the table of meal worm boxes. I shudder to think of the mess if she discovers them.

10. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:I did not know that you could home-grow mealworms. How do you do this? It would be fun to do and also nice to have treats. Thanks on the "cute chicks". They are so our pets...just a bonus that they will keep the bug population down in our yard and we get eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by