1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babysitter for chickens around Sacramento???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KomodoMNO, Dec 3, 2013.

1. KomodoMNO

KomodoMNO Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Hey! So we are going on vacation in two weeks for about a week and a half, and I was originally going to take our two 8wk old chicks with us, but it seems to have fallen through! Is there anywhere that will babysit my chicks for a reasonable price, anyone around my area willing to watch two sweet little chick a dees for almost 2wks, or anyway to make driving in a small car, with a toddler and a dachshund for 24hrs with chickens simple lol? They are so so friendly, and love being held and getting treats... they are my little babies, so I want to make sure that where ever we leave them they will be well taken care of. Any tips or information will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Edited since I was giving my opinion but realized that it is just too difficult to give advice on this subject.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Do you have any friends/family willing to watch them? I'm not sure what other advice to give you :)

5. KomodoMNO

KomodoMNO Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    ChickensAreSweet, I saw some of your comment before you edited it, and you had some pretty helpful advice! We are actually switching them to their coop this weekend, so what you suggested could be possible or at least make it easier for family/friends/stop by less frequently. Thank you anyway! :)

Thanks roostersandhens! :)

Liz9901, that is what we're trying to do but since it's Christmas week, availability is limited... Was just looking through all my options! And thanks!! :)

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try contacting your local 4 H group. Good luck, and welcome to BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can see why a lot of chicken folks don't get to take a vacation.

9. saikokurage

saikokurage New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Friendly reminder that you must be careful choosing who you trust those baby chicks of yours [​IMG]
    I had bad experiences leaving my pets with other people, even relatives, so you have to make sure whoever you leave them with someone who loves animals and is actually willing to look after them. Maybe someone who already owns chickens might be willing to help you.
    Well, this wasn't the best advice I could give but oh well lol.
    Good luck!
    PS:The chick in your picture is adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by