Babysitting Prices?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CluckyJay, Nov 9, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    How much would you charge a day to watch a child? During the day, from early morning until around five, or so.

I am trying to get some kids to help out with the bills.

I am not offering to pick kids up or take them to school. Simply take care of them while their parents work. If I provide food and offer very basic school lessons, how much should I charge?

I know a lot of people cannot afford $10.00 an hour for a babysitter. I am not looking to make bunches of money but do wanna make enough to make the load worth it.

It would also be a help to me so my son can have kids to play with.

I was thinking about 10.00 a day, more if I provide food. Is that reasonable?

The thing is, it seems like if you do not charge a lot, you never get calls.

I had one lady that said I had the job and then she never bothered to call. She even came out to my house with her kids and said she really wanted to hire me, set up the days and everything. UGH. I turned other people down because of her. [​IMG]

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I think $10 is very fair and even generous of you. My aunt does it and she gets about $20 a day with meals included. After knowing you, I'd hire you in a second if I had kids. $10 is a steal! I do agree that you should charge a bit more if you're providing food. Maybe another $5 or $10 added on. [​IMG]

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks! That is very sweet of you. [​IMG]

I was trying to look at it through my mom's eyes when we were kids. She was a single mom and there was no way she could afford a lot an hour. Thank God for my Grandparents!

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Recently, I've had to start charging $9 or $10, but it depends how many kids. I had to raise my price a little bit because I was getting paid $6 an hour to watch five kids. I don't mind getting that much for one or two easy kids, but five was way too many for that price, especially when three of them still needed diaper changes.

I think between $7 to $10 is fair.

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    How on earth do people afford it though? I am all for making as much money as possible but that would be like 80.00 a day if you're charging 10.00 an hour? Oh man, I can only imagine what licensed daycares charge. [​IMG] I guess they would have to charge quite a bit more to be able to pay their employees though. It would be so nice to make some money for the livestock costs. [​IMG]

I always wanted to have a passel of my own kiddos, this is the next best thing to that, LOL. [​IMG] Here's hoping I get some emails or calls about some kids.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    The going rate here is about $75 a week for school age kids (with no pick-up drop-off) and up to $185 for newborns per week.

7. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Wow, does multiple kid discount apply often? It would probably suck having to change so many diapers for 6.00 an hour, LOL. It never seems to go as well as when it was your kid's diaper hehe.

Dang, being a working mom is expensive when you factor in daycare costs.

8. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:X2.

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I think $20 a day is fair. You are after all RAISING their kids for them. Especially if you feed them.

10. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Didn't think about it like that, LOL. [​IMG] So the parents can blame me if their kids grow up to be screwups? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by