Babysitting roosters for a couple weeks

madison528

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2022
Murrieta, California
What are your thoughts/opinions on bringing in 2 roosters into my flock of only 3 girls for a couple weeks? I have a friend who is moving and needs to put their roosters somewhere for a bit but my concern is 1. I don’t want fertilized eggs 2. I’ve never had a rooster let alone two and my girls have never been around one before 3. Having two roosters with three hens in my opinion is a bad idea for many reasons 4. These roosters have been mating their flock already

Why don't you want fertilized eggs? I also don't see how it could be a problem that the rooster are mating the hens at the old home. Your hens won't have a problem adjusting, other than the fact that they are going to get over bred. Maybe keep the roosters separated?

What are your thoughts/opinions on bringing in 2 roosters into my flock of only 3 girls for a couple weeks? I have a friend who is moving and needs to put their roosters somewhere for a bit but my concern is 1. I don’t want fertilized eggs 2. I’ve never had a rooster let alone two and my girls have never been around one before 3. Having two roosters with three hens in my opinion is a bad idea for many reasons 4. These roosters have been mating their flock already
Not a good idea. First and foremost … you have to quarantine new birds for a month. Weather you babysit or bringing new birds for your flock … quarantine!!!! Always!!!
Introducing new birds is always stressful on a whole group and if it’s not permanent it’s not worth the hassle. If you want to help your friend. Fine but keep her birds separate and far away enough not to stress your girls.

Any time you add birds the birds need to adjust. A rooster coming into a hen group is the easiest, but there could still be some scuffling. I'm not sure how two roosters who have been together will interact with each other when the hen group is new. 2 roos might be a bit much for only 3 girls depending on the personalities of the roos. Also make sure the boys are not carrying any diseases. Where will the hens that have been with the roos be?

Not a good idea. First and foremost … you have to quarantine new birds for a month. Weather you babysit or bringing new birds for your flock … quarantine!!!! Always!!!
Introducing new birds is always stressful on a whole group and if it’s not permanent it’s not worth the hassle. If you want to help your friend. Fine but keep her birds separate and far away enough not to stress your girls.
Thank you this makes me feel better about saying no

Back
Top Bottom