Bachelor House?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken Hugger!, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Is it possible to house roosters in a "bachelor house"? I am in 4-H and I am tired of all my chickens looking terrible because the rooster seems to know which ones are going to the fair. So I was wondering if anybody has had any expericence, whether positive or negative, with this. And is it possible to keep bantams and standards together too? Thanks for any information! [​IMG]

2. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I have a rooster coop in which I keep all my young LF cockerels until I either sell them or send them to freezer camp. I did have to remove one EE cockerel that kept causing problems (he actually appeared to be trying to breed one of the other cockerels and I thought he was going to kill him eventually). But once he was out of the pen I had no further problems. I have eight living there together right now. I have 3 bantam cockerels (2 D'Uccles and a Silkie) but they live in the baby coop as I don't think they would survive all the testosterone in the rooster coop. [​IMG] Here's a pic of the boys hanging out:
    [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    All my silkie boys hang out together in a large separate pen and they get along fine. I could probably prep them for the shows in that pen because they really don't fight at all. It's usually when the girls are in with them that they fight.

4. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Thank you for answering! I think that my standard roo cans stay with the production flock and all the banty show roos will be roomies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by