Bachelor pad questions

Jun 15, 2022
Grand Gorge, NY
So I’ve tried finding places for my five, 12 week old Jeresey Giant cockerels all across Facebook and on BYC. I’ve had a few people say they want them then back out the day before we meet up. Since the most recent one I’ve had no luck finding them a place.

I have thrown around the idea of keeping my group of cockerels together until they’re old enough to be processed however I don’t have much land. I do have room to keep them in their own space that I can block vision from my flock of hens however they will still be within earshot. Will they fight if they can still hear the hens even if vision is blocked?

Any other suggestions or tips anyone has is appreciated, I love learning from people with more knowledge and experience.

Also if anyone reading this is interested I’m located in Delaware county, NY and am will to drive to find them a place.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2481455C-13C8-43B2-B375-DAE944217249.jpeg
    2481455C-13C8-43B2-B375-DAE944217249.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 18
  • E5B10871-8FC9-42BF-BCE5-4D9415C62724.jpeg
    E5B10871-8FC9-42BF-BCE5-4D9415C62724.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 4
I Have about about 7 Roosters with constant sight of my hens. When they were younger they did not fight at all and now that they are getting close to processing age they are beginning to fight a bit but I think its more to do with dominance than anything else.

Roos lower on the pecking order will have their tail feathers picked out eventually but other than that no injuries so far. I have mine in a 5x8' Mobile coop (for fresh forage) if you wondering about coop size.

I keep a bachelor flock. I also have multiple roosters with my bigger flocks of hens. For the most part they get along pretty well. I have had instances ranging from one getting pecked and run off. Whenever it got close to another rooster. I have had some that had gotten along great. Only to go out and see that they have beaten each other bloody. Like previously mentioned it all depends on the birds and what they are feeling at any given time.

Back
Top Bottom