Bachelor pad

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whitejerabias, Dec 22, 2011.

1. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Does a bachelor pad need to be out of sight and sound from the hens, can it be one or both? Would they be able to roost in the same coop and then just get our to separate runs at night? Is there any difference in care (aside from the fact that I bet they don't need layer feed).

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Women are trouble. Having said that, roosters would rather have sex than eat. If they can`t have sex, but the temptation is there, they will fight. Now I know there are many different opinions on this. My experience is that sight and/or sound of a hen will cause trouble with multiple roosters. A batchelor pad is just that and any female association will spark the boys. They cannot roost in the same coop as hens, etc, etc. Try it, maybe you`ll get lucky. Merry Christmas.......Pop

3. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks Pop! So you'd recommend not doing a duplex either?

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:For roosting, if they can`t see the hens, that should work, but if they are awake, like to and from the roost, could be a problem if they hear the hens squabling........Pop

5. seeingeyepuppy

seeingeyepuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    So I have multiple coop houses and runs. I was planning on having the houses all near eachother but make it so the roosters can't get to the hens.
    If the roosters heard or saw the hens from a distance though would that cause fighting

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I can only share my experience. I've had cockerels in a bachelor/grow out pen twice. Both times, the hens/pullets free ranged right near the bachelor pad all day long and there was no fighting. But - these were cockerels and not mature roosters, so I don't know if that would have changed. The cockerels were all processed before 6 months of age.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My answer is also...it depends.

My coops are all near each other, some share adjoining wire walls.

My bachelor pads are more short-term grow out pens, used to house the cockerels once they're sexable until butcher. So, they've usually been raised together and have worked out the kinks in the social structure.

I don't keep a pen of mature roosters together, not sure how that would work. I'm thinking if they've been raised together, it should be fine. I'm not sure being able to see the hens makes much difference. They can still smell or hear them, they know they're there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by