Bachelor pen for roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Aug 30, 2007.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Is it possible to keep several roos together into adulthood if there are no hens to fight over? I'm so torn regarding my EE roolets. I haven't had any luck re-homing any of them. The only calls I've received are from folks wanting to eat them. They are too beautiful to eat, but we'll do the deed ourselves if we have to.

2. RUHAMA

RUHAMA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    I bought 4 chicks at easter a year and a half ago (impulse buy...my first). They turned out to all be roosters. But I was attatched, so I tried to keep them anyway, but they started fighting so much and were hurting each other and being noisy about it. (Maybe because I can't free range them.) I finally had to give 2 away. (They went to a farmer who free-ranged them, but they disapeared by natural causes) I kept the 2 I thought got along, but that had the same effect. I have the survivor, but he is by himself and beats up even any pullets that I have offered him...Now he is even turning on me. I guess "man was not made to be alone" applied to my roosters also. It did not work for me and I loved my roosters. I hope to offer some soon on the buy sell trade section. Some will be pets, and sorry some will be soup....Eileen

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes, it is possible, but it depends on the individual roo's.
    Some will just want to spar or play fight.
    Some may be deadly serious.

I had 2 roo's live in the same pen alone for over a year. They sparred at least once a day but never even bloodied each others combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by