1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Bachelor Roo pad?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Saffron2, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Saffron2

Saffron2 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    In the MN winters, my chickens are limited to a small run and most days don't go out because it is snowy. I am thinking of making my brooder room into a bachelor pad for the winter to give the girls a break. My coop is divided into three rooms~~ storage entry 10 x4, main room 10 x 16 and brooder 10x6. The main room and brooder are separated with chicken wire and door, so they can see but not touch. I have six roos that I hate to cull but will if necessary. I am thinking the boys could live in small brooder room for the winter and the girls would have the main room. They all live together now free-ranging and kind of have their own cliques but I have too many roos for my 30 girls to handle it in a confined space. Or maybe I just have to get rid of 2-3 roos? Rather not come out of winter with bare back ladies again...[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:If your roosters get along then a bachelor pad would be great for the Winter. ( If you NEED to keep all 6) 6 roos for 30 girls is alot-what about culling 3-4 of them and still keeping them all together?

3. Saffron2

Saffron2 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Agree, I am a reluctant culler but know it must be done. Always wishing it were not so. Think the 3 1/2 year old should go along with my feisty barred rock. then have to decide between the bantam lakenvelder and bantam barred, plus the two marans mutts. So hard! I would make a terrible juror!!

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I tried a bachelor pad once and it did not work out for me. They had their little spats before but once I put them in the bachelor pad, one of the roos really beat up on another sweet boy. I thought he was going to lose his eye but he ended up being just fine with some TLC. Just be careful and watch them initially. I know it can and does work for some but my experience was not a good one. What I did then was allow the boys to free range and have an outside pen for the girls and some of the more meeker boys. I then put everyone back into the big coop at night though and that seemed to work out pretty good for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by