Bachelor Roos

Sherry

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Southern WV
So my DH, who had the attitude "chickens? whatever", has decided he LOVES the roosters. I started with 7, have 4 left. He has decided we need to keep all 4 so he can hear them crow. Can 4 roosters live together in peace and harmony?
My thought is once my 4 younger pullets are ready to move in with the big girls, I'll put all my roos in the other pen.
Will this work?

Sometimes it works. Often times it doesn't. The lower class roos will need alot of space and places to run and hide when the King of the Hen House is around. As the roos approach adulthood fights will break out. Serious fights with blood shed can happen (cock fights). You can help keep down the injuries by checking spurs and removing them periodically. That isn't a promise things will go well. Generally it is 1 rooster to a hen house. To end on a positive note - I have seen more than 1 rooster in a hen house and things work out just fine. It depends on the individual birds and their temperment/personality.

We had our two Roo's long before we had hens, they hang out together with just a few spats here and there, nothing serious.

It does however make mating a little difficult because when one mounts a hen and the other is around he will knock the mating Roo off!
lau.gif

l_69ad4552a801e638cee608e68f7b845a.jpg

I used to always have just a rooster pen. You will have less fighting by keeping all your roos together away from hens than if you kept them together with hen.

If all 4 of your roosters are raised together, it should not be too bad. Problems arise when you introduce a new roo to an already established pack of roosters or if you remove one for a while to be with hens and then try to reintroduce. If you just keep them always together and dont make a bunch of changes, they should live quite comfortably together with little problems.

Back
Top Bottom