Bachelor roosters and Guinea?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by palrusty12, Apr 29, 2017.

1. palrusty12

palrusty12 Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    Lovettsville, VA
    I've raised 3 keets and 7 Speckled Sussex chicks together this spring. The Sussex were purchased as pullets, but Surprise! I have four cockerels now. They are all inseparable and getting along really well both free range and in the coop at night. The Guinea seem especially attached to two of the cockerels and take turns following them around the yard.

I've been trying to rehome the cockerels but have had no interest. The poor life of roosters! And they are such handsome lovers I would hate to cull them. I'm considering setting up a bachelor flock for them along with the Guinea in the chicken tractor and to free range by day. The layers could then be kept in our large run and coop.

Has anyone had an issues with Guinea and roosters? I don't know yet if I have Guinea hens or not. Will the roosters be interested in them?

2. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    My suggestion: leave the female guineas with the female chickens. You should make a full time coop for the roosters as if they free range the wild animals will eat them or else they could start queuing up outside the ladies fence pining and fighting! You can try any male guineas with the roosters but they may bully them so culling may be your only option!

NB roosters and guinea hens can mate and the crosses are rare and valuable, so perhaps you could make a monogamous pair with two.

3. palrusty12

palrusty12 Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    Lovettsville, VA
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by